Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Why I'm Hating Verizon Wireless Right Now

So as you saw in my last post, I switched from a Motorola Droid to an iPhone recently. A few days ago, I pulled my old Droid out of the drawer where I had kept it. I backed up all my data and decided to see how much functionality is on the phone without the use of a data plan.

It turns out there is a lot. The GPS still works, WiFi still works, and I can access the app store, download apps, and as long as the apps don't require data access, most of the apps still work.

Since it still has a lot of functionality, I thought I'd have David's number switched to the Droid to allow him to have access to the games, and email (when he's near a wireless network).

Then I ran into the stupidest customer service rules on the planet. It turns out that Verizon WILL NOT activate his number on the Droid without activating a data plan. They tell me it's because you cannot use the phone without data connectivity, despite the fact that I have been doing this very same thing for days.

Apparently, I can give him Amy's old Samsung flipshot and that's not a problem. I can give him my old LG Dare, and that is not a problem. All they need to activate service on another phone is the serial number of the phone and the EAN (or MEID) from the new phone and service switches over without any problems. You don't need to upgrade the service plan, or make any other changes. In fact, you can make this change from your phone by dialing *628.

The moment you involve a smart phone however Verizon requires that you have a $30/month.

No comments:

Post a Comment